The Confederacy of Mainland Mi’kmaq (The CMM) is a Tribal Council representing seven, Mi’kmaq communities of mainland NS. Our mission is to proactively promote and assist Mi’kmaq communities’ initiatives towards self-determination and enhancement of community. The CMM is located in the Millbrook Mi’kmaw Community in Nova Scotia and has over 60 Employees. The CMM is currently looking for an energetic, mature and independent candidate to fill the role of Commercial Fisheries Liaison Coordinator (CFLC) with the CMM’s Aboriginal Aquatic Research Oceans Management (AAROM) Program.
Reporting to the AARROM Project Manager, the CFLC will be responsible for maintaining a data base of species and fishery areas covered by Mi’kmaq communities of mainland NS; working with external Mi’kmaq First Nations Fisheries Coordinators and Commercial Fishery Advisory committees in an effort to expand their knowledge as it relates to fishery resource management; and, sustaining a presence at related meetings and activities. The CFLC will present information related to the outcomes of these meetings and include recommendations concerning the implications or ramifications to CMM’s member communities’ fisheries managers.
- Must have five (5) years direct demonstrated experience in commercial fisheries operations;
- Knowledge of First Nations cultural and economic environmental challenges;
- Experience working in or with First Nation communities;
- Solid understanding of Mi’kmaq culture and history;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Work efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- Ability to participate in meetings and understand/interpret complex fisheries’ issues;
- Excellent reading and writing skills;
- Good understanding of the Indian Act and Mi’kmaq aboriginal
To apply online, send your resumé before 16-11-2017 to ;